Hudson River Expeditions Policies
We do require some information so please let us know the following at the time of registration.
• Height and weight.
• T-shirt size so we can reserve a life vest for you.
• First-timer, novice, intermediate, or experienced
• A full refund with a minimum of 3-days advance notice.
• 50% refund for less than 2-days notice of cancellation.
• No refund for less than a 24-hour cancellation notice.
Tours will run rain or shine. In the event of severe weather a full refund will be offered. Please be sure to give us a number you can be reached at for last minute tour updates.
Please be at the store 30 minutes before your tour to complete paperwork and be fitted for your PFD. Arrival more than 15 minutes after the tour begins may result in forfeiture.
If you are making plans after your tour, rental, or class please factor in time extra time in case you need to dry-off and change.
Constitution Marsh is a wildlife sanctuary. The Audubon Society does not allow pets.
Tour schedules are subject to change. Please check for updates.
We do our best to predict conditions but we cannot always anticipate weather, water, and marsh status. Please also use your own judgement in these circumstances.
RULES OF THE RIVER FOR RENTERS
• Personal Flotation Devices (PFD's/life vests) must be worn and secured while in your kayak, canoe or on your paddleboard.
• Appropriate footwear should be worn at all times.
• A mobile phone in waterproof case/bag must be carried.
• A float plan designating the permitted paddling area and landmarks must be reviewed and followed.
• Anyone paddling out of the cove, marsh, or shoreline up to Little Stony Point in Cold Spring or into the Hudson in Peekskill must have at least one member of the group who is skilled in self- and assisted- capsize and recovery techniques.
• Renters may paddle into Constitution Marsh pending tidal restrictions.
• Renters may not paddle under the railroad trestle on the south side of Constitution Marsh.
• Paddlers may not land at Pollepel Island (Bannerman Castle) unless part of a tour, it is illegal.
• If sudden severe weather forces you from the water refer to your float plan and call us, we'll come get you.
• Paddlers need to be responsible and aware at all times. Please don't cloud your judgement with alcohol and drugs.
• We reserve the right to use our discretion when providing our services.
• Renters under age 18 may not rent without an adult present with them on the water. They will also need to have a signed guardian release form.
• Renters under age 13 must paddle with an adult in a tandem kayak or canoe.
• Children must be at least 3-years old and 30 lbs to participate.
• Children under the age of 10 are only allowed in Foundry Cove and Constitution Marsh. This excludes rentals in the river and tours that go in the river including but not limited to West Point, Bannerman, and our One-Way tours.
HRE RENTAL REQUIREMENTS
Rentals are provided for all paddlers within the designated areas of Foundry Cove, Constitution Marsh, and the Cold Spring shoreline in groups of two or more. Your float plan will be reviewed to ensure you have a confident and safe day on the water. We encourage frequent or experienced renters to extend beyond to the greater area but request a demonstration of your assisted rescue skills or participation in a Foundations II class for your safety. A solitary day on the water is also great way to reconnect but for your safety we'll want to ensure self-rescue techniques or request you attend a class. Renters with a HRE assisted rescue and/or self-rescue endorsement will have a bounty of exploration opportunities.
*All rental and tour bookings are at the discretion of HRE.